Collectibles--General (Modern)/Military Medal

The medal I have is shaped in a five point star.  The center shows 2 men shaking hands.  Around the center it says, "Grand Army of the Republic. 1861 - Veteran - 1866

Would you be able to tell me about the medal and how much it is worth?

Thank you

Hi Ruth,
I know the medal is A GAR Grand Army of the Republic medal which was a fraternal veterans organization, set up by Union Veterans after the Civil War. It is hard to tell anything else about without seeing a picture of it. Can you take pics front & back and  send them to me?. I will only be in town until next Wed then gone for 2 wks.
Thanks, sincerely, Bill

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Bill Finkler

I am a collector of US Military Wings and Medals, homefront war effort and sweetheart jewelry from the Spanish American War to present. I can answer questions regarding militaria such as authenticity, dating pieces, evaluating and supplying. I have been consulted by experts for books published on Sweetheart Jewelry.