Collectibles--General (Modern)/Hurley Porcelain Thimble

I came across a thimble in a box I bought at an auction recently. The insde is stamped Hurley Porcelain. The thimble has a mermaid sitting on a rock, overlooking the water. There appears to be a city in the background. There is what appears to maybe be a signature on the back of the thimble. I have been trying to research this without any luck. Would you happen to know who the artist is and approximately when this thimble was made? I find this thimble to be beautiful and I would just like more info.  Thank you in advance for any info you may be able to provide.

Hi Cheri,  Thank you for your question.  The Hurley Company is an American porcelain manufacturer who made a fine line of hand painted porcelain thimbles.  Each thimble was hand-poured and hand-painted.  Hurley thimbles are thin, translucent and each a work of art.  The company made different sets such as "Heroines of the World," "Christmas around the World," "Historic Trust Houses," and "Holiday" thimbles and they are prized collector's items. I am familiar with the pattern you have however I have no list of the people who hand painted their thimbles.  I do not know the years that the thimbles were produced. If you are familiar with the on-line auction website eBay, you may be able to find the name of your thimble's painter.  I am sorry I could not be of more help.   

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins

I am a digitabulist - a thimble collector. I have been collecting thimbles since 1976 and have my own newsletter called Thimble Guild. I started a local thimble collectors group, Thimbles Are Us, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in 1985. I was Second Vice-President of Thimble Collectors International from 1988 - 1992. I have been a guest speaker on thimbles at local collectors groups, womens groups and churches. I am knowledgable about sterling and gold thimbles made in the US as well as England, Germany, France, Russia, Norway and a few other countries. I am familiar with manufacturer`s marks and codes, assay marks and date marks and other unique marks meaningful to any thimble collector. I am knowledgeable of porcelain, china, brass, pewter, bronze, aluminum, plastic, silver plated, coin and base metal thimble marks. Some questions I might be asked...what makes a thimble valuable (scarce maker, desirable pattern, commemorative, etc.)...where can I find more information on thimbles... are there collectors groups out there a newsletter for collectors...what books are available on the subject? I am very happy to share my knowledge with anyone but will not make appraisals. To do that, you must be able to look at the thimble in person. I have a friend that has a saying, A knowledgable collector is a wise collector. She is a wise collector. In 1992, at the TCI Convention in San Diego, CA, I was given the highest honor in the thimble collecting community. It is called the Myrtle Lundquist Award. It reads, Lundquist Award - Compassion - Caring - Sharing - Awarded to Wynneth Mullins 1992. This award gives me a lot to live up to!