Collectibles--General (Modern)/Identify unmarked gold thimbles

18kt thimble
18kt thimble  
10kt thimble
10kt thimble  
QUESTION: Hello Wynneth,
I am pleased to find a site such as
I am hoping you can help me.
I aquired two thimbles and they have very few markings.
The first is a  light weight smaller thimble marked with an "8" which I know is a size It has been engraved on the outer ring with "Babe Dec 25, 1909" there is a marking inside in the very top that looks like a monogram With a M K D the  between the bottom legs of the K is a small letter c. I had it tested and it tested 10kt. The picture is the less ornate one.

The second had less information but hopefully will be easier to identify. Its also a size 8 but it is stamped 18kt.there are no other markings on this thimble

ANSWER: Hello Sabina,  Thank you for your questions.  The first thimble is a Ketcham & McDougall Company thimble.  The thimble was made between 1892 and 1932. KMcD thimbles were usually marked 10KT or they would mark them with a small o either on the band on inside top.

The 2nd thimble is not readily identifiable.  It could be a French or German thimble.  Could you tell me if there is a pattern on top of the thimble or send along another picture of the top of the thimble? Or looking at the inside of the thimble, can you see any tiny impressions on the inside from the thimble being marked on the outside?  I hope this helps but please send along any other pictures of the 2nd thimble.

QUESTION: Hello Wynneth,
The only other marking I took as a engraving E.J.L.
The top dimples are in a perfect circle coming to a center "nipple". The top dimples are round but the side are and elongated diamond.
there doesnt appear to be any impressions of outside stamping.
Looking closer I have found another crude engraved mark "x or t 319" It is right next to and slightly under the nicely stamped 18kt.
Maybe this will help.I will work on getting better pictures with some good lighting.
looking forward to hearing from you.

Hello again Sabina,  I am sorry I can not be of further help.  I do however believe it is a French thimble.  They have always had very tiny hallmarks and sometimes you cannot even find them.  They may be under the applied work around the band.  I will be happy to help further if you could get pictures of the letters and number you mentioned, perhaps.  Take care,

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins

I am a digitabulist - a thimble collector. I have been collecting thimbles since 1976 and have my own newsletter called Thimble Guild. I started a local thimble collectors group, Thimbles Are Us, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in 1985. I was Second Vice-President of Thimble Collectors International from 1988 - 1992. I have been a guest speaker on thimbles at local collectors groups, womens groups and churches. I am knowledgable about sterling and gold thimbles made in the US as well as England, Germany, France, Russia, Norway and a few other countries. I am familiar with manufacturer`s marks and codes, assay marks and date marks and other unique marks meaningful to any thimble collector. I am knowledgeable of porcelain, china, brass, pewter, bronze, aluminum, plastic, silver plated, coin and base metal thimble marks. Some questions I might be asked...what makes a thimble valuable (scarce maker, desirable pattern, commemorative, etc.)...where can I find more information on thimbles... are there collectors groups out there a newsletter for collectors...what books are available on the subject? I am very happy to share my knowledge with anyone but will not make appraisals. To do that, you must be able to look at the thimble in person. I have a friend that has a saying, A knowledgable collector is a wise collector. She is a wise collector. In 1992, at the TCI Convention in San Diego, CA, I was given the highest honor in the thimble collecting community. It is called the Myrtle Lundquist Award. It reads, Lundquist Award - Compassion - Caring - Sharing - Awarded to Wynneth Mullins 1992. This award gives me a lot to live up to!