Collectibles--General (Modern)/Thimble

arches view
arches view  

arches crown
arches crown  
Hello:  Thank you for this valuable service.  In my 80 years I've never used a thimble but my mother, my grandmother and my aunts did.  This curious one is inherited and I wonder if it should be listed on my home insurance.
The thimble is pewter color.  The dimples appear to be rhomboid in shape with the crown dimples punched in concentric circles.  On the inside of the crown the dimples are visible but appear concave.  The design might be a flower or palm tree under an arch.  It is a size 11 and what appears to be a maker's mark, a tiny unfilled circle, is 2 arches away from the size number.

Hi Betty,  Thank you for your question.  Your thimble is actually made of aluminum.  I am certain it was made in the 40's or 50's.  The value of the thimble is very low.  With base metal and sterling silver thimbles out there, the demand for an aluminum thimble is very low.  There was a time in the mid to late 1800s that aluminum thimbles were very expensive, more expensive than sterling silver until they figured out a way to mine aluminum and the value of aluminum dropped like a rock.  Most aluminum thimbles are marked on the inside top with the letters B&B which stands for Brown and Bigalow.  B&B was an advertising company that made thimbles as a form of advertising businesses and even political candidates running for office.  I have seen aluminum thimbles for Coolidge/Dawes and for Hoover.  I hope this helps.

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins

I am a digitabulist - a thimble collector. I have been collecting thimbles since 1976 and have my own newsletter called Thimble Guild. I started a local thimble collectors group, Thimbles Are Us, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in 1985. I was Second Vice-President of Thimble Collectors International from 1988 - 1992. I have been a guest speaker on thimbles at local collectors groups, womens groups and churches. I am knowledgable about sterling and gold thimbles made in the US as well as England, Germany, France, Russia, Norway and a few other countries. I am familiar with manufacturer`s marks and codes, assay marks and date marks and other unique marks meaningful to any thimble collector. I am knowledgeable of porcelain, china, brass, pewter, bronze, aluminum, plastic, silver plated, coin and base metal thimble marks. Some questions I might be asked...what makes a thimble valuable (scarce maker, desirable pattern, commemorative, etc.)...where can I find more information on thimbles... are there collectors groups out there a newsletter for collectors...what books are available on the subject? I am very happy to share my knowledge with anyone but will not make appraisals. To do that, you must be able to look at the thimble in person. I have a friend that has a saying, A knowledgable collector is a wise collector. She is a wise collector. In 1992, at the TCI Convention in San Diego, CA, I was given the highest honor in the thimble collecting community. It is called the Myrtle Lundquist Award. It reads, Lundquist Award - Compassion - Caring - Sharing - Awarded to Wynneth Mullins 1992. This award gives me a lot to live up to!