Collectibles--General (Modern)/Simon Brothers silver thimble

Question
How do you find a value for a thimble? I know you do not provide that information. I have my great grand mother's thimble. I know it is Simon Brothers and has pat. May.28.89. The year 1889 would make sense but I can't find much information on it. Thank you for any information you can give me.

Answer
Hello Diana,  Thank you for your question.  The best way to find the value of your thimble is to go to eBay on the internet.  If you do a search on thimble May.28.89, it will bring up thimbles with that patent date and you can check out what those thimbles are selling for.  It also allows you to search on closed auctions as well which will show the final value of the thimbles.  It is very difficult to know what a thimble's value is.  There are many variables such as the economy, the thimble's condition and supply and demand.  The thimble that has a patent date on it was one in the first batch that was struck with that design.  The next ones would not have the patent date on them.  US thimbles are different from say the thimbles from England because in England, they are required to put the silversmith's initials, puissant for silver, assay office and the date letter around the band of the thimble and most times the size as well.  I hope this helps.

Wynneth

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins