Collectibles--General (Modern)/This size 11 sterling silver thimble

Question
Sterling Silver Thimble Size 11
Sterling Silver Thimbl  

Sterling Silver Thimble Inside
Sterling Silver Thimbl  
This size 11 thimble was purchased in the 1970's in a gift shop in Albuquerque, N.M..  It's clearly a softer metal and tarnishes like silver.  Inside are stamped the word "STERLING" and the letter "S" in an old-English style font.

The thimble is precious to my elderly mother.  What else can we learn about it?  The thimble also has a hole due to years of use: do you have advice as to appropriate repair (my father wanted to use epoxy)?

Answer
Hello Bryce,  Thank you for your question.  The thimble is sterling silver made by Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  The Simons Co. has been making thimbles since 1839 and is still making thimbles today.  They are the only sterling silver thimble manufacturer still in existence today in the US.  The S in old English script is their trademark.

I have found this design on the band of the thimble to be one of the more difficult designs to find.  The age is very difficult to determine as the US has never required silversmiths to hallmark their items with a date.  The Simon's hallmark does give me the clue that the thimble was made in the 20th century.

The best way to repair the thimble is to take it to a jeweler and ask him to repair it.  I have done this several times and the cost is very minimal and I believe you would not be able to tell there was a repair. He may be able to reshape the thimble as well.

I hope this helps.

Wynneth  

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins