Collectibles--General (Modern)/my grandmother's thimble

My grandmother, Pauline, was born in the late 1880s/early 1890s. This was her thimble. I'm interested in finding out who the maker was and what it's value might be. I can read "sterling" on the interior, but cannot make out the mark. I'm guessing that if anyone can help me, you're the one.
Thanks in advance,

Hello Ellen,  Thank you for your question.  Your thimble was made by the Ketcham & McDougall Company of New York, New York.  KMcD was in business from 1832-1932.  I believe your thimble to have been made in the late 1800s - early 1900s.  The value of the thimble depends on supply and demand and condition.  It is a very nice thimble.  I do not normally give values but if you go to the auction website of eBay, you will probably fine a thimble very similar to your thimble and can see what the thimble will sell for.  I hope this helps.

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins

I am a digitabulist - a thimble collector. I have been collecting thimbles since 1976 and have my own newsletter called Thimble Guild. I started a local thimble collectors group, Thimbles Are Us, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in 1985. I was Second Vice-President of Thimble Collectors International from 1988 - 1992. I have been a guest speaker on thimbles at local collectors groups, womens groups and churches. I am knowledgable about sterling and gold thimbles made in the US as well as England, Germany, France, Russia, Norway and a few other countries. I am familiar with manufacturer`s marks and codes, assay marks and date marks and other unique marks meaningful to any thimble collector. I am knowledgeable of porcelain, china, brass, pewter, bronze, aluminum, plastic, silver plated, coin and base metal thimble marks. Some questions I might be asked...what makes a thimble valuable (scarce maker, desirable pattern, commemorative, etc.)...where can I find more information on thimbles... are there collectors groups out there a newsletter for collectors...what books are available on the subject? I am very happy to share my knowledge with anyone but will not make appraisals. To do that, you must be able to look at the thimble in person. I have a friend that has a saying, A knowledgable collector is a wise collector. She is a wise collector. In 1992, at the TCI Convention in San Diego, CA, I was given the highest honor in the thimble collecting community. It is called the Myrtle Lundquist Award. It reads, Lundquist Award - Compassion - Caring - Sharing - Awarded to Wynneth Mullins 1992. This award gives me a lot to live up to!