Collectibles--General (Modern)/insulator

porcelain insulator ak
porcelain insulator ak  

porcelain insulator ak
porcelain insulator ak  
I was just wondering about some info on this item we found imbedded high in a tree in Cordova Alaska.  The area we found this insulator used to house army barracks in the Cordova area back inthe 1940s during world war 2.  I just thought you may have some interesting info on the piece.

Thanks for your question!

The insulator in the tree is what we call a strain insulator.  These are used to attach in series with a guy wire or to dead end a power drop.  They are pretty common, but any insulator embedded in a tree has value due to it's uniqueness, especially if the insulator is partially showing.  At an insulator show, I'd value your item at around $50 (a $0.50 insulator partially embedded in a tree).  Looking at the glaze on the strain, I'd date it from the 1930s.  Here is a link with more information on strain insulators:

Hope this helps! Thanks, --Bob

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Bob Berry

Questions related to collecting Glass Insulators and porcelain insulators - I can provide historical information as well as current collector values. I am also interested in purchasing insulators I need for my collection.

I have collected since the early 1970's and have much historical information, as well as knowledge of current insulator values.

National Insulator Association (

BS & MS in Electrical Engineering