Collectibles--General (Modern)/Brown Insulartor

I was going through some collectibles and found what I believe is a large brown insulator.  It has G.E.CO. U.S.A. CAT. NO (actual # is hard to read) on the side.  On the bottom rim it has PAT. AUG. 11, 1903 JAN. 16, 1912 on one side; 30 AMP 2500 VOLTS on the other bottom rim. It is approximately 5 1/2 inches tall and 5 inches wide.  

Thanks in advance for your time!

I suspect what you have is a porcelain cut-out.  These typically have two mounting holes and have a handle in the base that when removed acts like a switch and opens the circuit.  These often are found with the handle missing -- if so, there should be a cavity where the handle went with two metal contacts for the switch.  Complete and in good condition, these are collectible with a $20-$25 value.  If the handle is missing but the remainder is complete figure $10-$15.

Here is a picture of one missing the handle:

Here is a complete unit mounted to a pole:

Hope this helps - let me know if this is not what you have.

Thanks, --Bob

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Bob Berry

Questions related to collecting Glass Insulators and porcelain insulators - I can provide historical information as well as current collector values. I am also interested in purchasing insulators I need for my collection.

I have collected since the early 1970's and have much historical information, as well as knowledge of current insulator values.

National Insulator Association (

BS & MS in Electrical Engineering