Collectibles--General (Modern)/18K Gold Thimble maker's mark

Question
Hello, I found your site trying to find the identity of an 18k Gold thimble I found in a lot of jewelry that I bought online. So, unfortunately, I don't have any history on this thimble. It is marked 18k with a mark that looks like a shield with a fancy "A" inscribed. I'm not positive it's a "A" but that's the closest I can describe it. My eyesight is not good and it's hard to see inside the thimble as I'm sure you are aware.

Also, it's appx 13/16" tall with the waffle design 1/2" down then 5/16 bottom has a basic scroll leaf design. There appears to be a #7 inscribed in this design where the scroll work is most prevalent or could be called the center front of the thimble.  The bottom of the thimble is plain with no rounded edge of any kind.

I'm going to list it on EBay for sale and would love to have as much information as I can get and a reasonable price.

Also, if you can recommend a good lighted magnifier to help me to see marks on mostly costume jewelry and with the occasional fine jewelry mark, I would be so thankful. Thanks for any and all help you can provide me. Mona

Answer
Hello Mona,  Thank you for your questions.  From your description, I believe the thimble was made by Simons Bros. Co.  The shield should have an S in script inside it and an A about the shield indicates full karat weight.  The 7 of course indicates the size of the thimble.

The best item I have ever found for thimble collectors or anyone that needs something to see very tiny marks is the   Bausch & Lomb Illuminated Coddington 10x  This items can be found on eBay or from the manufacturer direct.  It is the best thing since sliced bread!  It is as if it were made for thimble collectors however I believe it was developed for doctors to look in ears.  

I try not to give values because there are so many variables. I am certain the item will sell its self.  You may want to look at thimbles on eBay for comparable thimbles and prices they sold for.

I do hope this information helps.

Wynneth

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins