Collectibles--General (Modern)/Locke brown porcelain insulator and wires

Question
Large with wire
Large with wire  

Closer up
Closer up  
Yes, I would greatly appreciate your help in identifying what this item is. The markings say Locke. I found this piece near a utility pole in the woods behind my home. Is this for electrical wire or telephone / telegraph? What is it called and what is its function? Many thanks!

Answer
Hi -- What you found is a pair of suspension insulators.  These are designed for higher voltage work and are generally used in interlinked strings.  These appear to be around 6" in diameter which would typically support about 8,000V per insulator - so the pair you have could support up to 16,000V (probably was 13,500V which is a standard transmission value).  I would date these from the 1940's -- they are collectible but relatively common.  The wire hanger on the bottom of yours is a bit unusual and would also be of interest to collectors.  Locke was based out of Victor, NY and made insulators from about 1900 through the 1960's.

Hope this helps -- Thanks, --Bob

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Bob Berry