Collectibles--General (Modern)/Possible Ivory Thimble

Question
Ivory Thimble I
Ivory Thimble I  

Ivory Thimble II
Ivory Thimble II  
I was told this thimble was made of Ivory, but have no way of knowing if it is really ivory or bone or celluloid.  There is discoloration and obvious aging.  There is also a 10 on the inside dome.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Answer
Hello again Jean,  The thimble is made of celluloid which is an early plastic.  An ivory or bone thimble would not have a number on the inside top like this.  When a plastic or celluloid item was made, they usually always have a number on the inside top of the thimble.  I believe that is a number that tells the maker what that particular item number is much like a size number.  Hope this helps.

Wynneth

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins