Collectibles--General (Modern)/WWII Sweetheart Pin?

Hi! My mother recently passed away and I found this old pin in her jewelry box. I think it is a WWII sweetheart pin (Daddy was in WWII) but I can't find any on the web that look like this one. Can you tell me anything about it? Like what it is exactly and what it means? It is marked Sterling and is 1 1/8" long and 1/2" wide (at its widest point). Thank you very much for your time and help!

Hi Rebecca,
Thanks for the e-mail and your question.
The pin you have is, indeed, a WWII Sweetheart pin. The "eagle" top part is the symbol of the US Army and the bottom is the "blue star" part indicating that the wearer had a loved one in the service. These were usually made of sterling silver, sometimes plated with gold and the "blue star" pins were mostly faced with hard fired enamel. There are many variations of these pins, however, the ones with the "blue star" heart are probably the scarcest. The retail value of your pin would be in the $20.00 to $25.00 range.
I hope this is of some help to you.
Sincerely, Bill

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Bill Finkler

I am a collector of US Military Wings and Medals, homefront war effort and sweetheart jewelry from the Spanish American War to present. I can answer questions regarding militaria such as authenticity, dating pieces, evaluating and supplying. I have been consulted by experts for books published on Sweetheart Jewelry.