Collectibles--General (Modern)/Simon's Bros thimble strange trademark

Hi Wynneth
Maybe you can help.  I dug a nice, but damaged thimble.  It looks exactly like a Simons Bros; size 7, PAT MAY 28.89, star on top, decorative skirt which looks golden, with the typical vertical designs.  But the head stamp is not the Shielded S I have seen.  It is a crescent enclosing a K.  As I see no metal type indication I'm wondering if its plated stainless or nickel.  Can you offer any clarification?

Hi Stephen,  Thank you for your question.  Yes it is a Simons however I believe they made this thimble for perhaps a Jobber or Jeweler.  They would have requested that Simons not put their mark inside but the mark of the Jobber or Jeweler.  If you would please, email me direct.  I have a question for you.  I do hope this helps.

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins

I am a digitabulist - a thimble collector. I have been collecting thimbles since 1976 and have my own newsletter called Thimble Guild. I started a local thimble collectors group, Thimbles Are Us, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in 1985. I was Second Vice-President of Thimble Collectors International from 1988 - 1992. I have been a guest speaker on thimbles at local collectors groups, womens groups and churches. I am knowledgable about sterling and gold thimbles made in the US as well as England, Germany, France, Russia, Norway and a few other countries. I am familiar with manufacturer`s marks and codes, assay marks and date marks and other unique marks meaningful to any thimble collector. I am knowledgeable of porcelain, china, brass, pewter, bronze, aluminum, plastic, silver plated, coin and base metal thimble marks. Some questions I might be asked...what makes a thimble valuable (scarce maker, desirable pattern, commemorative, etc.)...where can I find more information on thimbles... are there collectors groups out there a newsletter for collectors...what books are available on the subject? I am very happy to share my knowledge with anyone but will not make appraisals. To do that, you must be able to look at the thimble in person. I have a friend that has a saying, A knowledgable collector is a wise collector. She is a wise collector. In 1992, at the TCI Convention in San Diego, CA, I was given the highest honor in the thimble collecting community. It is called the Myrtle Lundquist Award. It reads, Lundquist Award - Compassion - Caring - Sharing - Awarded to Wynneth Mullins 1992. This award gives me a lot to live up to!