Collectibles--General (Modern)/Ketcham & MacDougal Thimble

Question
Ketcham Panel
Ketcham Panel  

Ketcham Panel Mark
Ketcham Panel Mark  
Based on my research I know this is a Ketcham & McDougall sterling silver panel thimble.  I am curious to know if the pattern has a specific name and if it is know when it was manufactured.

Thanks for your help

Answer
Hello Jean,  Thank you for your question.  You are correct that it is a KMcD thimble.  The pattern does not have a name other than we call it a paneled thimble.  Sometimes thimbles have patent dates on them.  That shows when it was patented and most often they stamped the patent information which was the month, date and year on the thimble for the first year.  Other than that, the US did not date their thimbles as the UK did and still does since about 1890.  They use Hallmarks to give us the maker, mark for silver, the assay office and the letter number so you can look up the year the thimble was manufactured. I hope this helps.

Wynneth

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins