Collectibles--General (Modern)/OLD GOLD SEWING THIMBLE

Question
MARKINGS ON GOLD THIMBLE
MARKINGS ON GOLD THIMB  
I came accross an old gold thimble this past saturday. I have no ideaa if it is real solid gold of gold filled. I see a couple of marks on it which are on the outside near the bottom and they are L1 and below that, there are 2 anchors side by side. There are also initials that look like maybe L.G. just to the left of the other markings. It is hard to read them since they used that old style writing. There is a lot of fancy etchings around the bottom half of the outside of the thimble. I also see inside what looks like old labels with one having a G or a 6 on it and the other one is hard to make out but looks like it has 3 letters, numbers, or symbols with the last one being an 8. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I can send you pictures if that would be helpful.

Thank You, Tim114

Answer
Hello Tim,  Thank you for your question.  The thimble is gold filled as the double anchors tell us that.  The L1 above the double anchors is actually the size which is 11.  The thimble was made by Goldsmith Stern Company of New York between the years 1913-1933.  Their marks were a G with an S and C on the inside of the G and an anchor on the inside top of the thimble as well. I am not certain but I feel there may have been a mistake marking the thimble with an 11 on the outside and an 8 on the inside as the size.  I have seen errors like this before.  If you could send more pictures such as the inside top of the thimble and a picture of the fancy etchings around the bottom edge of the thimble. With the extra pictures, I may be able to help you further.  I do hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Wynneth

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins