Collectibles--Toys/1974 Redline Hot Wheels Car

1974 1974 Hot Wheels Baja Bruiser
1974 1974 Hot Wheels B  
1974 Hot Wheels Baja Bruiser
1974 Hot Wheels Baja B  
QUESTION: Did the 1974 Redline Hot Wheels Baja Bruiser ever have a diecast change to the back truck bed?

ANSWER: Hi Brett,
They did come with a metal or a plastic base, but have never seen or noticed any with a different casting in the rear.
I looked at your photos and can't tell the difference between the two. What am I missing?

QUESTION: My apology, both pictures are of the same 1974 Baja Bruiser Hot Wheels car. My 1974 Baja Bruiser Hot Wheels car (in the pictures) has a curved truck bed not like any other orange 1974 Baja Bruiser cars that I have seen. The others are more straight in the design and my car has been diecast  with a curve. This diecast design makes it look like the back of the car has been bent, but it is not. The car has been kept in very good condition.  That is why I asked the question about a diecast change to the back of the truck bed. Was this a mistake in the manufacturing design that was discontinued for the reason of looking like it has been bent in the back?

ANSWER: Brett,
From what I see in your photo it looks like the back of the casting was mis-formed and bent when it was removed from the mold.

1974 Baja Bruiser Hot Wheels car
1974 Baja Bruiser Hot  
QUESTION: I'm sorry but it is not bent or mis-formed. Looking at it even closer, the casting was made exactly the way it looks with a curved truck bed.  I purchased the 1974 Baja Bruiser car myself when it first came out so I question your diecast analysis. Thank you again for your time. Would there be another expert that might have additional information about the making of the 1974 Baja Bruiser Hot Wheels car? Again, it is not bent or mis-formed and I'm not sure how to find out the detail history on the making and or changes of the 1974 Baja Bruiser Hot Wheels car. Thanks.

As I said Brett, yours is the only one I have seen. Everything that I know points to it being mis-formed when it was molded.
Have you seen any others? I'm pretty sure that you have the only one. As far as other experts, there are many out there. You can ask Jack Clark or Robert Wicker. They write "The Ultimate Redline Guide". Sorry, but I don't have any contact info for either of them, so you will have to do some searching.
Best of luck.

Michael Zarnock

I am able to answer questions about Hot Wheels toy cars and accessories only.

Michael Zarnock is an American author and columnist, who writes collector guides and articles about Hot Wheels toy cars and accessories. Michael's knowledge and his massive Hot Wheels collection has earned him notoriety around the world. Whether it be because of the 13 books, numerous chapters in other books and countless magazine articles that he has written, holding a Guinness World Record twice, being featured in “Ripley’s Believe It or Not” twice, or just the sheer size and diversity of his collection, this extensive knowledge has earned him the label,
"One of the worlds leading Hot Wheels authorities."
For more information visit:

July 2010 – Present
Diecast Hall of Fame
Curator/Diecast Hall of Fame Selection Committee Member

February 2009 - Present
Town of Deerfield New York-Planning Board Chairman
Appointed Board Member-February 2009
Appointed Chairman-January 2012

March 2008 – Present
ToyPedia-Advisory Board Member

April 2002 – February 2011
Children's Museum of Utica, New York
Co-Chairman Board of Directors

January 2010 – February 2011
Oneida County Convention and Visitors Bureau
Board of Directors

June 2006 – December 2010
Soprano's Car Cruzers Car Club Member

September 2006 – December 2009
Mohawk Valley Corvette Club Member

2011-Present - "Die Cast X Magazine"
(Hot Wheels Highway & Flashback Sections)
2009-2010 - "The Car Room Magazine" (Hot Wheels Column)
2008-2009 - "Die Cast X Magazine" (Hot Wheels Column)
2002 to 2008 - "Toy Cars & Models Magazine"
(Hot Wheels Column & Variation Price Guide)
2002 - "The Ultimate Guide to Hot Wheels Variations"
2002 - *"The Standard Catalog of Die-Cast Vehicles II"
2003 - "Warman's Hot Wheels Field Guide"
2004 - "Hot Wheels Variations, The Ultimate Guide, 2nd Edition"
2004 - *"Toys & Prices - 11th Edition"
2005 - "Hot Wheels Accessories, The Ultimate Guide"
2005 - *"Toys & Prices - 12th Edition"
2005 - *"The Standard Catalog of Die-Cast Vehicles III"
2006 - "Hot Wheels: A Warman's Companion Guide"
2006 - *"Toys & Prices - 13th Edition"
2007 - "Hot Wheels Variations, The Ultimate Guide 3rd Edition"
2007 - *"Toys & Prices - 14th Edition"
2007 - "Warman's Hot Wheels Field Guide 2nd Edition"
2008 - *"Toys & Prices - 15th Edition"
2009 - *"Toys & Prices - 16th Edition"
2009 - "Hot Wheels: A Warman's Companion Guide 2nd Edition"
2009 - "Once Upon A Street Race"
(Based on the true story of the time Mike got kidnapped at a street race!)
2010 - "Hot Wheels Variations, The Ultimate Guide 4th Edition"
2010 - "Warman's Hot Wheels Field Guide 3rd Edition"
2011 - "Hot Wheels Prototypes" (Bruce Pascal & Michael Zarnock)
2012 - "Warman's Hot Wheels Field Guide 4th Edition"
2014 - "Hot Wheels Variations 2000-2013 Identification & Price Guide"
* - Denotes Hot Wheels Collector Number chapters on that publication.

There are no Educational Credentials available or needed for this area, just the need to be obsessed! But I guess writing 13 books and countless magazine articles on the subject and being inducted into the Diecast Hall of Fame as a Hot Wheels Historian should be credentials enough to make me an expert. And if I don't know the answer, I'll do me best to find the person that does.

2003-Guinness World Record "Largest Collection of Different Model Cars"
2007-Guinness World Record "Largest Collection of Different Model Cars"
2008-"Ripley's Believe It Or Not!" Featured in book #5 “Prepare To Be Shocked!”
2009-Inducted into the "Diecast Hall Of Fame" as "Hot Wheels Historian"
2009-Mattel Hot Wheels® honored Michael by reproducing his old Altered Roadster Race Car as part of their Nostalgic "Drag Strip Demons®" Series!
2011-"Ripley's Believe It Or Not!" Featured in book "Utterly Crazy!"