Collections Law/Commercial loan default in Ohio

Question
Dear sir:

Here is my situation. Myself and 2 other partners bought a commercial building in 2003 and signed personally. One partner filed a personal bk due to his wife's terminal illness and subsequesnt debts. I did not keep the books nor was I a signer on the account for the llc. All payments were current until Sept. 2012 when my partner quit making payments because the building was not producing revenue and we were unable to sell it. I just received a default judgment of roughly $500k and am expecting garnishments and levies to come shortly. My wife has a good job and everything has been in her name for years and has a Trust. Our Trust attorney did this because I am self-employed and work Int'l, so it was his advise for me to not own anything. I do have an IRA, annuity, and a variable life annuity, all judgment-proof. My questions are: 1) what can I expect to happen next? 2) Is my family protected? 3) Is there a legal avenue, including bk, to vacate the judgment? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hey Tom,

I am not an attorney but it sounds to me like you are very protected. Your family should be protected unless your trust was not set up properly or if you just recently set up the trust. If you trust was set up way before all of the bad stuff happened then you should be ok.

The next thing that will happen is that the creditor could seek for wage garnishment etc. You can let them do it but it sounds like you are better off to file a lone bankruptcy, meaning without your wife. You will want to speak to a good bankruptcy attorney to do it the right way. A chapter 7 would be better as it would wipe out the judgement entirely. If you make too much money then you could include the judgement in a chapter 13 bankruptcy which is a restructuring of debt.

If you are making too much money to file bankruptcy, then the next option would be to try and settle with them for 10 cents on the dollar. If they know that you are going to file they may be more willing to settle and you can avoid a bankruptcy if you need to. There are many options to pursue depending on what your tolerance levels are to bankruptcy. Hope that helps.

thanks
Brian

Collections Law

Brian Pitcher