Collections Law/credit card debt

I have old credit card debt with capital one who sold it to portfolio recovery services who keeps adding it to my credit report every 2 to 3 months. The debt is about 12 to 13 years old and they call me every day sometimes a few times a day. I thought 6 years was the statue of limitations for credit card debt in Ohio? Is that true? If so what can I do to get them to leave me alone or to at least stop calling so often?

The statute of limitations in OH is six years and the credit bureau should not report anything over seven years old to your credit history.  Dispute the account to the credit bureaus and the collection agencies explaining that according to your records the account is time barred.  That should take care of it.  If is does not, report the recovery service to the BBB, Consumer Affairs and the Attorney Generals office in your state.  In your letter to the recovery service, ask them to cease and desist all collection efforts on the account.  This should stop the calls.  Good luck with this.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.