Collections Law/Medical bill to collections

On may 05 2012 my wife stabbed her hand with knife. we went to the ER at closest hospital signed in waited 1hr, then the 2 other people there informed us they had been waiting 3hrs. On my wife's I phone the wait time for the hospital 3 mile down the street was 15 min so we asked the receptionist if we had to do anything before leaving she said no so we went and were taken care of at the 2nd hospital.(payed $100 copay insurance covered everything else)
About 6 weeks later we got a bill from ER #1 for $300 medical services. we called disputing it, told they would review it. 2 weeks later got bill again. called again then told to dispute in writing. we faxed them the dispute of bill, and further our insurance info if needed.
weeks later got bill again say they did not have our complete insurance info, and had 10 days or creditors. Gave them info again.
Today 11/5/2012 got letter from creditor company saying we owed them now, and if not payed our credit will be dinged.
I don't know what to do? it seems like someone is incompetent or a scam or somthing....
Do I need a lawyer for such small medical bill? $300
but again don't think need to pay any or max my ER copay

Dispute the bill with the collection agency ASAP.  Send the Business Office Director a letter, copy it to the Administrator and the collection agency explaining the situation.  Be sure to explain that you have already paid $100.00 for services that were NOT rendered.  Include in the letter that if they choose to proceed with this, you will report the hospital to the BBB, Consumer Affairs and your states Attorney General.  You may want to get you insurance company involved and have them send a letter to the hospital explaining your payment benefits.  The insurance company should have sent you an EOB and sending a copy of this to the hospital should be enough to stop this.  Good luck with this.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.