Collections Law/Repo/Charge off

I owe 1000.00 on a vechicle thru Ford Motor Credit.    This is the end of the loan and they refinanced the lump sum amount because of finacial hardship our family is going thru.  I am behind 2 months on these payments.   I called them today and office is is sunday.   but when I put in my account # and ss# into automated system it came back that my SS# was not link to any account. I also tried checking thru the automated payment system with the same reluts...Then i went online thru Ford Motor credit and tried accessing my account that way and again the same result. My question could my care be repoed....or could ammount have been charged off.    The amount owed is late fees thru theduration of the loan.   can they repo on this amount with out even notiiying me.   I really don't know what I should I do.

It's certainly possible that it could be repoed but unlikely given the small amount.  If you can lock it in your garage, do that until you can contact them tomorrow.  For such a small amount they would usually contact you.  How much is the car worth?  If you really have no source from which to pay $1000, ask them for time to sell the car or borrow from someone else.  Surely someone can lend you $1000 to save the car.  But make contact with Ford, and if you are sounding helpful, I'm sure that they'll work with you for such a small amount.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz

I can answer most questions concerning bankruptcy, whether business or personal, including questions by debtors, creditors, persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcy estates, and the like. Also have expertise in tort law, French and Canadian law.

Practiced bankruptcy for 27 years in California and taught bankruptcy for three years in Maine. This included Chapters 7, 9, 11, 12 and 13 cases, representing debtors, creditors (secured and unsecured), bankruptcy trustees, creditors committees, and persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcies. Debtors included persons with virtually no money up to large corporations.

Inactive member of the Bar of the State of California. Nonpracticing member of the Bar of Massachusetts. Formerly member of the Maine Bar and conseil juridique in France. Certified by National Committee on Accreditation in Canada.

Georgetown Law Review; California Bankruptcy Journal; Maine Law Review; Dalhousie Law Journal; University of Toronto Law Journal.

Harvard Law School (J.D. 1970; cum laude) and Pomona College (B.A., 1967; cum laude)

Selected as a "Superlawyer" in 2005 and 2006 for Northern California.