Collections Law/Never contacted before sent to collections

I received a letter from the collection company today that I have a $15 outstanding bill to Kaiser. I was never contacted by Kaiser that I owed any money. I have been to Kaiser and paid other bills to them recently, so I don't know why they never informed me. I called Kaiser and they said that it was a co pay that I owed, but the person I needed to talked to about is not in on the weekend. I have no problem paying a co pay, I am mostly concerned about my credit score. I am going to try to contact Kaiser and the collection agency on Monday, but what do I need to do to ensure it does not change my credit score, which I have worked VERY hard to build (it was/is over 800)?
Thank you for your help!

They do not have to tell you before they turn you over to an agency.  Call the agency ASAP and make arrangements to pay the account.  Ask that they not place this on your credit while the payment is enroute.  They have no reason to place this on your creditnif you are willing to pay it. Call Kaiser and ask them to call the agency and ask them to work with you and to be sure they have your correct information so that this will not happen again.  Good luck with this.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.