Collections Law/ex landlord threatens to put on collections list

Question
I have moved out from my previous apartment more then 9 months ago now and just recently I received an email from a person who took my spot in renting the room. He came up with some sort of cleaning fee that I apparently failed to pay when I left. I have transferred some money to his account upon a move for some maintenance and damage fees but now there is this mysterious cleaning fee that I illegibly need to pay. If I do not he threatened to have our ex landlord put me through collections agency.

Can that really happen despite the lengthy time since I have left the place? I also live abroad and currently don't reside even close to the state. What are the possible consequences my credit can suffer with this? Can a collection agency really put in a claim without a receipt

Answer
I can not see what a new renter would have anything to do with any fees due to your land lord.  Should you receive something from him, then you have to be concerned.  Until then,  would not worry about it.  Your ex landlord can turn something over to collections but due to the time that has passed, it does not seem likely that there would be anything else that would be due from your rental.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller