Collections Law/Judgement on a Joint Banking account

I recently went through a divorce where my ex husband was to pay me for a old credit card debt we had while married! He didn't pay me, but I still made payments to this collector, until I had my baby girl and had heart
Failure but I did speak to the collector and he assured me it would be fine and when I could to make a 65.00 monthly payment and told me they refused to accept a lower amount even though I don't have any income besides childsupport every 3 to 4 months ... The problem ... My new additions father works offshore for a oil company and is only in town for about 5 days a month, so I could take care of his and my child we have together and all his bills for his home and anything that needed to be handled , he added me to his personal checking account ! Well, the man I was speaking to at this debt collectors quit his job , a person came in behind him and cleaned up (so to speak) , and sent a judgement in to his bank on the account because my name is on account ... I live in Mississippi , my daughter just made 8 months old, I stayed in contact with the collector and assured them I would pay them as soon as I could go back to work and tried to pay payments but was refused due to it not being a bigger amount , the account is a joint account but we are not together nor married , but they have taken his money that he earned , I didn't make deposits in the account , my name was only on it to handle things when he is away .... Can you please assist me with this problem or direct me as to who to contact ! Thank you greatly, and happy holidays

Happy holidays to you as well. Did you have a hearing before the judgement was granted?  I can't give legal advice since I am not an attorney but if I were you I would seek the advice of one.  Since you are on the account, it may be that they can attach it.  Call an attorney and see what they say.  Your solution may be as easy as taking your name off the account.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.