Collections Law/Old Discharged debt

7 years ago as the result of a debilitating injury and little income for over 6 months we discharged our credit card debt through bankruptcy court.We are getting daily calls from the "bottom feeders" at Portfolio. A review of my credit report sees all in order.we have arranged our expenses so that we have no debt. Which means they have picked up a discharged account and if I am dumb enough to answer their call, will hammer me to try and convince me that I owe on something that is long gone.We are in our late 60's, and will retire soon.What are the options?

If this is indeed a discharged debt, this company has broken the law.  Get an attorney and sue them.  But first, didpute the debt and demand that they contact you in writing only.  This will stop the calls.  Also, ask for validation of the debt.  Good luck with this.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.