Collections Law/credit card debt summons

Question
This is a follow up question to the one I posted yesterday.

I live in Missouri, where we have a homestead law that limits protected equity to $15,000. I was also told that my social security income was too low for me to be approved for Chapter 13. Does this make sense?

My account is in my name only. I live alone and, at this time, my only deposits are from SS. I understand that I should keep it that way. Did the new law that went into effect in 2011 help with this matter?

Two final questions: What should I expect to occur in the court hearing, and do I need to prepare for anything in particular? On the summons it reads, "You may be permitted to file certain responsive pleadings". What does this mean?

Thank you so much for your help.

Answer
Before the court hearing, you need to file an answer if you disagree with any of the allegations.  If you don't, the creditor will get a judgment in the amount pleaded, plus probably court costs and attorney fees.

It makes sense that you haven't enough income to file for Chapter 13.  However, you would probably be filing Chapter 7 if you were to file anything.  The only real question is the value of your house and amount of equity.  If the equity exceeds $15,000 (the homestead amount) the trustee in bankruptcy would probably try to sell the house to get money to pay your creditors.

If you have unpaid creditors beyond the one we have been discussing, you should really speak with a bankruptcy attorney about your options.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz