Collections Law/Dell debt collections

Question
Back in 2007 I took out a loan for a Dell computer and paid as faithfully as possible up to 2010. At that time I was having severe problems making ends meet and had already paid over $1800 for a loan that was originally $1230. I contacted Dell and informed them I was going to stop payment (which of course they didn't care) and made my last payment on August of 2010. Since then I've received the occasional collections letter until I received one from a law firm within my state (Oklahoma). So far they haven't sent me anything indicating that they're going to sue, however they have a reputation for being litigious and I am worried about it since I can't afford it, let alone a lawyer. Currently, due to my financial status I still can't afford the loan which has grown from fees and interest to almost $1900 and am worried about getting pulled into court. I've already made up a Debt Validation letter and plan to send it in soon, what else can I do?

Answer
You need to learn how to defend yourself in Court of the lawyer has a reputation of being litigious.

I suggest you go to www.debtorboards.com and post your situation there. That board was set up by me several years ago to help people both sue their creditors and defend against creditor suits.

With the information provided I really cannot suggest any other tactics that would prevent a lawsuit - anyone can sue anyone for any reason. You don't indicate whether Dell has sold the debt to a Junk Debt Buyer or not, so I will assume not. Since you have been making payments right into 2010 you are still within Statute for suit.

You also don't indicate what your income and asets are to determine if you are Judgment Proof or not. Debtorbards will help with all these unanswered questions.

Collections Law

Steve Katz