Collections Law/Embarrassing Billing Harrasement

I have an outstanding bill with a dentist. I am trying to get it paid off but due to extenuating medical bills this past year (of which I informed them) it is taking along time. What I need to know is if it is legal for the dentist's wife who works in the office to ask her friend to ask my mother (I am 42 years old and my mother has no responsibility for me financially) to find out when I am going to pay the bill off?

No, the dentist wife can not reveal the fact that you have an account to any other person due to the HIPAA laws.  It sounds as if your dentist has violated your rights under this act.  The act itself is hard to explain in its entirety but the part you would be interested in is unauthorized release of information to a third party, which is illegal and punishable by fines.  Your best bet is to call the dentist office and remind them of this.  If that does no good, get an attorney and sue them.  Good luck with this.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.