Collections Law/Garnishments

Hello.  Currently I live in KY and I have a wage garnishment coming out of my check.  I will be moving to FL in the next few months and my question is this.  If I move to FL will my wage garnishment follow me from KY?  If so how long do you think it will be before the wage garnishment starts in FL?

Thanks for the help!

The creditor will need to find where you are and then get the KY judgment recognized in Florida (that will take at least a month if not more).  Also, the rules on exemptions are different in the two states and you may or may not find more protections in Florida.  And, obviously, they will need to find your new employer to garnish (unless you work for a national company and are paid from a central place somewhere else).  But I assume that they will try to find you and continue the garnishment when they get all the information they need and get the judgment recognized in Florida.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz

I can answer most questions concerning bankruptcy, whether business or personal, including questions by debtors, creditors, persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcy estates, and the like. Also have expertise in tort law, French and Canadian law.

Practiced bankruptcy for 27 years in California and taught bankruptcy for three years in Maine. This included Chapters 7, 9, 11, 12 and 13 cases, representing debtors, creditors (secured and unsecured), bankruptcy trustees, creditors committees, and persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcies. Debtors included persons with virtually no money up to large corporations.

Inactive member of the Bar of the State of California. Nonpracticing member of the Bar of Massachusetts. Formerly member of the Maine Bar and conseil juridique in France. Certified by National Committee on Accreditation in Canada.

Georgetown Law Review; California Bankruptcy Journal; Maine Law Review; Dalhousie Law Journal; University of Toronto Law Journal.

Harvard Law School (J.D. 1970; cum laude) and Pomona College (B.A., 1967; cum laude)

Selected as a "Superlawyer" in 2005 and 2006 for Northern California.