Collections Law/Lien collection

Question
QUESTION: If a bank gets a lien against me because of a guarantee on a prior business loan, what properties can they attach in the state of MD.  Bank accounts are joint with my wife as is the real estate.  Both of us are on Social Security and I have a part time job teaching cooking classes.  I have a fairly small (80K) 401K in my name, other investment account is joint with wife.

Thanks for your help.

ANSWER: Hey Eddie,

As far as Maryland law is concerned it may be different but it is pretty universal that if you get sued and a judgement is awarded, then that attaches to you regardless of what state you are in. They will have to subpoena the court if they want to garnish wages or force you to sell real estate or even go after a 401K. But if you are just getting social security etc, the likelihood of a judge awarding that is slim, unless there is lots of proof against you.

I hope that helps.

thanks
Brian

QUESTION: Very helpful and thank you.  I do need one further clarification, please.  Are properties jointly held where wife is not party to the action at all, subject to lien collection.  Thanks again.

Answer
Any real property that you own or have your name attached to, the lien will attach when a judgement is recorded. You can't take it off of there until it is settled or paid for in full. In other words your wife is not the one being collected on but the items that she own jointly with you are at risk of being liened. Does this answer your question?

Brian

Collections Law

Brian Pitcher