Collections Law/Ambulance bill

"I got sick at work.  I'm not sure what I had (maybe 24 hour flu).  I entered the supervisor's office, got dizzy and fell against a locker.  The supervisor called an ambulance.  I did not request the ambulance.  When the ambulance showed up I refused transportation to the hospital.  Should I be billed for this or should my employer be billed?  Thank you in advance for your assistance."

Technically, you didn't request anything, so your employer should be billed.  The supervisor was just doing his job in calling for assistance for you, but I doubt you can be viewed as responsible.  You might compare this to a new movement to charge people with the cost of their own rescue, but there only when they are reckless in creating the situation.  In addition, the charge is permitted by statute.  No statute covers your situation.  I'm assuming that there is no rule posted in your workplace telling you that you have to pay the cost of an ambulance in such a situation (in which event you could be deemed to consent to that rule by coming to work).

Of course, your employer may not appreciate your lack of appreciation and fire you for throwing the burden on him.  But that's a different story.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz

I can answer most questions concerning bankruptcy, whether business or personal, including questions by debtors, creditors, persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcy estates, and the like. Also have expertise in tort law, French and Canadian law.

Practiced bankruptcy for 27 years in California and taught bankruptcy for three years in Maine. This included Chapters 7, 9, 11, 12 and 13 cases, representing debtors, creditors (secured and unsecured), bankruptcy trustees, creditors committees, and persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcies. Debtors included persons with virtually no money up to large corporations.

Inactive member of the Bar of the State of California. Nonpracticing member of the Bar of Massachusetts. Formerly member of the Maine Bar and conseil juridique in France. Certified by National Committee on Accreditation in Canada.

Georgetown Law Review; California Bankruptcy Journal; Maine Law Review; Dalhousie Law Journal; University of Toronto Law Journal.

Harvard Law School (J.D. 1970; cum laude) and Pomona College (B.A., 1967; cum laude)

Selected as a "Superlawyer" in 2005 and 2006 for Northern California.