Collections Law/International Timeshare

Question
My husband and I bought a timeshare (2weeks) in 2001.  Mount Amanzi, South Africa.  No loan was taken as we paid cash ($2,800).  The yearly maintenance fees are about 4,000 Rand (roughly $500).  My husbands job has been affected by the economy and we are unable to keep up with the fees.  We have been trying to sell but it appears we need to pay (more than the purchase price in many areas we've checked) to get rid of it.  We have never actually been to South Africa....we've traded our weeks to visit resorts here in the U.S through an RCI voluntary membership (expires 2014).  My question is... Can we just stop paying fees?  Will this be a foreclosure?  If it will be foreclosed on & with it being international (no loan only yearly fees)... Will it affect our credit rating?
Thank you so very much with any help you can give us with this stomach ache.

Answer
Hi Jill,

Unfortunately your assumptions are right. If you stop paying on it, it will affect your credit and it will be a foreclosure if you just let it go. its one  of the traps that people fall into owning a time share. There are places that you can go to sell them but many people will pay to get out of those things, having a timeshare is definitely not an asset.For the amount you would have to pay to get out of it, your better off to take a few years off from traveling and give your trip away if they will just pay the maintenance fee.

now with it being international, i dont know if it will affect your credit. Did you give them your social when you bought it? if so then it would likely be reported to the credit bureau.If not, i not sure what recourse they have. I hope that that helps

Brian

Collections Law

Brian Pitcher