Collections Law/property dispute

Question
QUESTION: Bought property 3 years ago neighbor has proof that he own 1/3 of my property. My question is can the agency that sold me the house be held responsible for not telling me the correct property line, after asking about it before buying.

ANSWER: Hey Jenna,

More then likely they have disclosures that you signed limiting them from liability. However, the title company that you closed with was guaranteeing the property lines. You will want to get in touch with them and get your title report that was done when you bought it. That is an insurance policy that the sellers gave to you guaranteeing that you were the rightful owner of the whole property according to the boundary descriptions. Once you do that you will have a better idea on where to go from there. The title company will tell you if you have a claim or not. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Hope that helps,

Thanks
Brian

QUESTION: I have talked to the title company her info is basically the same as my neighbors saying that my fence is on an entire half lot that is not mine. Now the map everyone is going off of  is many many years old. The fence is not in this picture. Still confused not sure what to do. Even when a new survey is completed if nothing has changed,do i have any recourse our just take my fence down and take a loss on my property value. I feel i was mislead in buying the property because the main reason this was the house picked was this huge fenced in back yard.

Answer
Hi Jenna,

Once you complete the survey, and if nothing has changed, then you will have to take the fence down off of their property if that is what they are asking you to do. The appraised value of the property is based off of what the plat map says not where the fence is. You may have lost some perceived value but you haven't lost the value of your home. Unfortunately  everyone went off of the fence line as the boundary rather then the measurements of the plat map. You have the right as a buyer to verify everything before you buy the home. If you find something after the fact, there is not a lot that you can do about it unless you can prove that the intentionally mislead you. I hope that that was able to help.

Thanks
Brian

Collections Law

Brian Pitcher