Collections Law/home tax lien

Question
i owe taxes on my house and they are telling me they are going to sell the lien.  The house is paid in full/no mortgage.  i understand i owe taxes but i have no idea what it means when they sell the lien.  Will someone else own my home? And do i get any money for the house?  It is paid for.  i only owe taxes.

i was hoping you could provide a site that explains this. i've looked but i have not found any that answers my questions.

i understand i owe taxes but i own the house outright.

Answer
Hi Regina,

If they sell your tax lien to someone else, that just means that someone else owns the debt. You still own your home however, the new lien holder can foreclose on your property in order to get paid back on the debt.

So you need to do one of the following 2 options. The first is pay the taxes, borrow the money to pay the taxes if you have to. The second option is to sell the home for maximum profit and you will keep any profit after all taxes are paid.

There is a 3rd option. You can let the lien holder foreclose on your property to pay the taxes and then they will own your home or someone else will who picked it up at the court house steps. With this scenario, the taxes will be paid but you will lose some if not all of your hard earned equity.

I hope that I was able to help.

Thanks
Brian

Collections Law

Brian Pitcher