Collections Law/Tired to make a payment but vendor was not willing to give me a receipt, now they want to place me in collections

Question
I recently attempted to complete a business transaction for a service. The amount I was suppose to pay for the service was $2500. I was paying with a certified cashier check, however, the business refused to give me a receipt for the check because they wanted to wait until the check cleared. I agreed to provide them with cash but they did not want to accept cash since it was a large sum of money. Needless to say, the transaction was never completed. My question is there a law that stated when money/funds exchange hands that there should be some type of receipt given for proof of payment? Can I be put in collections because I did not want to leave the check?

Answer
Send them the check along with a certified letter, return receipt requested, stating that by cashing the check it would constitute that payment in full had been received.  Then request a copy of the cashiers check from the bank from which it was purchased.

There is no law in Georgia that I know of that states that a receipt must be issued and yes, they can turn you over to a collection agency if the bill remains unpaid.

As a side note, a postal money order might work better than a cashiers check, Good luck with this.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller