Collections Law/credit card fraud

Dear Mr. Ebert,

My sister has received letters addressed to me from credit card companies, debt collectors and law firms regarding unpaid credit card debts in my name. I have been living and working overseas for the past 10 years (previously residing in California) and had terminated all my U.S. credit cards when I left. Any mail I have is sent to her address. So it has come as a shock to suddenly receive these letters.

Is it possible for my sister to notify these companies that I'm overseas and this is an incident of credit card fraud? Or do I have to handle this in person? Some of these letters state legal action against me so I would like to take care of the matter as soon as possible.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

You do not have to be present to handle the issues. You could either hire someone to represent you or give your sister power of attorney to handle the issues for you.

I certainly would take seriously anybody that claims that they are or may take legal action against you.

I personally would not tell this is fraud until someone has approached the companies and received documentation relating to the accounts. This will either remind of an account or not.

Collections Law

Chris Ebert

I can answer questions for Texas residents concerning issues that involve creditor and debtor rights. Specifically, I can answer questions concerning: FDCPA, FACTA, FCRA, and Texas state collections violations.

For the last 10 years I have worked as a Sr. Paralegal in a law firm ( that defends debtors against their creditors. I have reviewed thousands of credit reports and under the supervision of our attorney helped thousands of client resolve their credit issues.

Ramos Law Firm

BBA University of Texas at Austin