Collections Law/Old debt

Question
Hello Michael, and thank you for in advance for your help.  This is a fantastic thing you do here.

I recently received a collections letter from LVNV FUNDING LLC regarding a debt from over ten years ago.  The letter is giving me options to pay the debt and honestly, I could easily do the 129 dollar one time payment option.  This debt has been off my credit report for years and I have built my credit score  up to over 700 now. I'm aware that the company is a "zombie collections" company and they purchased my debt hoping to make a profit.  My question-or questions-for you are  1) Can anything bad come from me choosing to not pay this debt,  or from me actually paying it?  2) Is there any reason to pay the debt? For example, could me paying this raise my credit score?

Answer
Don't pay and don't promise to pay until you learn whether the debt is barred from collection due to expiration of the statute of limitations.  That statute depends on the type of debt and the state where incurred.  In California, a simply credit card debt expires 4 years after the last payment made.  I don't know which state you are in.

So you need to investigate.  If you pay or promise to pay, you risk waiving the defense of the statute.  

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz