Collections Law/vehicle default

Question
we filed a chapter 13 bankruptcy in 3/2006 and we had a vehicle loan that should of been paid off during that time but was not. we found out years later that there was a balance around 1200.  The last payment was recvd in 2/2008 so nothing has been paid nor do we know who to pay.  we live in washington state and I thought I saw a law that it could be written off if under 2500.00 but we are going to sell it and what to know where to start to get a title?

Answer
The lien (and address of the lender) should show on your registration or title.  (It would in California; I am not familiar with Washington's rules).  If it does not, I would assume that the DMV has a registry.  If you are unsure, you could check with a used car dealer -- they would know because they need to check the title to make sure it's clear.

Once you get the name, address, and phone number of the creditor, you should contact the creditor if you want to pay it off.

I hope that helps.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz