Collections Law/vehicle default

we filed a chapter 13 bankruptcy in 3/2006 and we had a vehicle loan that should of been paid off during that time but was not. we found out years later that there was a balance around 1200.  The last payment was recvd in 2/2008 so nothing has been paid nor do we know who to pay.  we live in washington state and I thought I saw a law that it could be written off if under 2500.00 but we are going to sell it and what to know where to start to get a title?

The lien (and address of the lender) should show on your registration or title.  (It would in California; I am not familiar with Washington's rules).  If it does not, I would assume that the DMV has a registry.  If you are unsure, you could check with a used car dealer -- they would know because they need to check the title to make sure it's clear.

Once you get the name, address, and phone number of the creditor, you should contact the creditor if you want to pay it off.

I hope that helps.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz

I can answer most questions concerning bankruptcy, whether business or personal, including questions by debtors, creditors, persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcy estates, and the like. Also have expertise in tort law, French and Canadian law.

Practiced bankruptcy for 27 years in California and taught bankruptcy for three years in Maine. This included Chapters 7, 9, 11, 12 and 13 cases, representing debtors, creditors (secured and unsecured), bankruptcy trustees, creditors committees, and persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcies. Debtors included persons with virtually no money up to large corporations.

Inactive member of the Bar of the State of California. Nonpracticing member of the Bar of Massachusetts. Formerly member of the Maine Bar and conseil juridique in France. Certified by National Committee on Accreditation in Canada.

Georgetown Law Review; California Bankruptcy Journal; Maine Law Review; Dalhousie Law Journal; University of Toronto Law Journal.

Harvard Law School (J.D. 1970; cum laude) and Pomona College (B.A., 1967; cum laude)

Selected as a "Superlawyer" in 2005 and 2006 for Northern California.