Collections Law/Garnish Spouse?

Question
Hello,

Have several assignments of judgment from a client who has a rental prop management company.

If I find that one of my debtors (I'm in Missouri) has a spouse with a job but the debtor may not, can I garshish this to satisfy my judgment?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Dan

Answer
J.D.Hello Dan:

My initial thinking on this is that since Missouri is not a community property state, a writ of execution directly against the employed spouse may not be effective.   However, having said that, there may be other ways to get around this to the spouse's income indirectly.    There may also be other factors involved that would also be helpful to your collection efforts, but there is no way for me or anyone else to be able to give you a full and complete answer without knowing more specific facts.    

You are welcome to call me at any time if you would like to discuss this further.   I will not charge you just to talk on the phone.

915  261-3893
Jack Hall, J.D.

Collections Law

Bankruptcy Services