Collections Law/Credit card payments

I have been out of work for a while now and have been thinking about only paying maybe 50 on credit cards that have a minimum of 150.  As long as I am paying something on them, can they still send collections after me?  I have already called the credit card companies and of course they cannot do anything on making the payments less.

They can send it to collection so long as you are not paying properly.  But that doesn't mean that they will.  I suspect that so long as you pay something they may ride with you for awhile.  But a lot depends on whether the card is maxed out or not.

You have an uncomfortable situation and I sympathize greatly.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz

I can answer most questions concerning bankruptcy, whether business or personal, including questions by debtors, creditors, persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcy estates, and the like. Also have expertise in tort law, French and Canadian law.

Practiced bankruptcy for 27 years in California and taught bankruptcy for three years in Maine. This included Chapters 7, 9, 11, 12 and 13 cases, representing debtors, creditors (secured and unsecured), bankruptcy trustees, creditors committees, and persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcies. Debtors included persons with virtually no money up to large corporations.

Inactive member of the Bar of the State of California. Nonpracticing member of the Bar of Massachusetts. Formerly member of the Maine Bar and conseil juridique in France. Certified by National Committee on Accreditation in Canada.

Georgetown Law Review; California Bankruptcy Journal; Maine Law Review; Dalhousie Law Journal; University of Toronto Law Journal.

Harvard Law School (J.D. 1970; cum laude) and Pomona College (B.A., 1967; cum laude)

Selected as a "Superlawyer" in 2005 and 2006 for Northern California.