Collections Law/Out of SOL

Love, Beal, & Nixon of Oklahoma City, OK is garnishing my check for 18,000 dollars for a repossession (Ford Motor Credit) from over 10 years ago. Is this legal, and what should I do. They attached my bank account last month also. This is from Oklahoma County, Oklahoma City, OK. I tried to find the case on the court records sit and did not find it. I know that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but sure seems odd. Any help would be appreciated.

The statute of limations in Oklahoma for this type of debt is five years from the date of last activity on the debt.  The date of last activity is usually defined as the date of last payment.  The actions, on the surface, certainly sound illegal.  It all depends on when the judgment was granted.  You should have been notified of the court date but I have heard of judgments being granted without notification.  The filling and judgment dates should be on record in the county court house in which the case was heard. This is usually the county in which you resided when the case was heard.  Since there is so much money involved, I would recommend engaging an attorney to delve in to this for you. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but with the amount of time that has passed, this would be your best course of action at this time.

I wish you the best with this issue and if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.