Collections Law/medical bill collection

Question
Over the past 6 years, my wife and I have incurred numerous medical bills due to major illnesses and surgeries.  Although we were covered by insurance, we still incurred large amounts of debt in medical bills.  We have from the beginning paid these bills off one by one in monthly payments, or applying large amounts to credit cards for some bills.  The last episode was 18 months ago (kidney failure and a hospital stay) incurring $6000+ in bills. We have paid this down monthly to approx. $3200. Now, the hospital has sent us to collection for the balance with no notice, and no lapse in payments on our part.
We understand our obligation to pay this bill, but is it legal to send us to collection in this manner?

Answer
The unfortunate answer is yes.  Something may have changed at the hospital such as a collection policy or even a change in management.  My advice to you would be for you to call the hospital and point out your payment of prior accounts and a regular payment history.  They can, if they will, have this account withdrawn from the collection agency as "placed in error".  I wish I had better news and I wish you the best in this situation.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller