Collections Law/Being sent to collections wrongfully

My boyfriend entered into a contract with a company we have since learned is well-known for being scam artists. He paid a $5000 deposit for a metal building, and we complied with all of their requirement, however he received an e-mail last weekend stating that, because we canceled the contract (which we never did, and were never notified of any issues or what was happening), we were being sent to collections immediately for an additional $5000. We have submitted complaints to the Attorney General in both our state (NV) and the state of their corporate headquarters (FL), as well as the BBB and FTC. Our county's Building and Safety Inspector has also filed complaints and gave us an affidavit regarding the experience he has had with this company.

What do we do now? Wait for the debt collector to call? Is there anyone else we should be talking to? Will a debt collector listen to our side of the story and our proof (ie the multiple times we tried to contact the company with no response)? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

It appears you have done all you can do short of getting an attorney.  When you get the first notice from the collection agency, dispute the debt. Here is a link to an excellent example of the letter: Save a copy of the letter and send the original to them certified, return receipt requested.  It is important that you keep a "collection diary".  Start it with all efforts you have made to resolve/report/ complain about this debt along with any and all contact you have with the collection agency; you may need this in case this goes to court.

I would go ahead and send a narrative of this situation to the credit bureaus:  Experian, Transunion and Equifax.  In this narrative, go ahead and dispute any entries that may result from this debt.

Be aware that a sleeze ball company like this will use a sleeze ball collection agency. If you have the means, record all conversations with them.  An agency that would take a debt like this is liable to say anything to coerce payment from you, including tactics that violate the FDCPA, and therefore break the law.  Be sure to tell them you are recording the call.

I certainly hope this helps you in some way and I wish you the best in resolving this situation.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.