Collections Law/Wage Garnishment

I have been in a three year dispute with a collection agency concerning a medical bill of $700.00 They claim I owe it, I claim I paid it, showed them the cancelled check. They still sued me, never served me, got a default judgment against me and tried to get a WRIT OF EXECUTION. The agency's lawyer agreed to withdraw their Writ of Execution and agreed to set aside the default judgment, both were in written documents filed with the Court.
Now out of the blue,the agency just sent me a wage garnishment under the same case # without any new judgment,but referenced the old, now set aside judgment. I wonder if their lawyer told them the original judgment was set aside? The case is still pending and  contested, etc I am trying to get them to delete the collection from the three credit reporting agencies and even though I paid, I will pay it again just to get them and this horrible nightmare out of my life-it has trashed my otherwise good credit-I went from 821/850/830 to 690/700/719!credit and I cannot refinance my mortgage with an open collection on my credit reports.  Help-what can I do?

Wow, what a mess! Short of getting an attorney, you may want to go ahead and pay this account.  Before you pay it, get a statement, in writing, from the collection agency stating that upon payment, they will remove any and all information concerning this debt from the credit bureaus.  Should you decide to get an attorney, in my opinion, you stand a chance of winning.  The problem with this is that you would spend 4 times what is owed with no guarantee that you will win. I do not like the odds on option #2.  I wish you the best with this and if you need further assistance please let me know.  

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.