Collections Law/Medical bills

I am paying on a current medical bill through my hospital, they recently called me and stated that I was not paying enough a month and they are going to send me to collections.
I stated to the representative that I am paying $50.00 a month this is what I can afford, they stated that I have to pay the $114.00 that they are asking monthly and because I cannot I am going to collections. I thought if I am paying the same amount monthly and making an effort they could not send me to collections. What is the Wyoming law on this?

Unfortunately, there is no law governing this issue.  A creditor can call the entire debt due at anytime unless you have a written payment agreement in place.  Your best bet would be to provide a detailed financial statement showing your what ability you have to repay this debt.  Then plead your case with a decision maker at the hospital (the Director of Patients Account or their assistant).  If you talk to a clerk in the business office, you are going to get the standard "that's our policy" answer.  If this does not work, being turned over to a Collection Agency is not the end of the world.  It is actually another chance to set up a payment arrangement.  If you do get turned over and are able to make arrangements with the Agency, make sure to get the arrangement in writing, including a statement that as long as you make the payments, they will not place this information on your credit history.

I worked as a manager in a hospital and a Collection Agency and I approved these type arrangements all of the time.  If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.  I wish you the bet with this situation.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.