Collections Law/someone trying to collect

A man dated my mother for 20 some years. In 2010 he left her without a word to me or my family. We had borrowed some money from him over the years. I was paying him monthly. When he left not a word was mentioned about the money. We have not had any contact since he left. We received a letter today stating that we owe him money and that we need to pay him back. We need to know what to do about this. He says he has letters I can see, I do not remember writing any letters. Is there a statute of limitations of when a person can no longer collect on a debt? Do we have any rights? He is asking for a substantial amount. He has married since and has money. We are very concerned. Please give any advice possible. Thank you!

In order for him to be able to collect a debt, he has to be able to prove it, either with something in writing or have someone testify to a conversation concerning this debt.  The statute of limitations varies from state to state so, I will need to know where you live in order to help you with that.  I hope this helps and I wish you the best with this situation.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.