Collections Law/co. signers rights.

Question
rec en, tly I have found out that a loan that I cosigned with my sister in 2008 has been in default and the collectors are coming after me. I pointed the collectors in the right direction of establishing connections with my sister in setting up a payment plan but now the collection agency is still calling me asking for more money which I do not have since I am a medically retired veteran and a full time college student who is married And paying two mortgages.I have already told this collector that I want A copy of the original contract to be seen by on base lawyers and to know what are my rights in for going this matter before I make any payments.since there is a payment arrangement with the primary Signer, do I still have to comply in the collectors request of making payment arrangements with them?

Answer
Thank you for your question.  According to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) you have the right to request validation of the debt.  Put your request for documentation in writing and send it to the collection agency certified.  The unfortunate part of this scenario, is that as a cosigner, you have the same responsibilities and are equally liable for the debt as the main borrower.

One thing that I would suggest is that you keep a collection diary. Document all conversations and correspondence so you will not have to deal with "he said/she said" later on.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller