Collections Law/Student loan debt collectors

Question
Live in Iowa - You may not be able to help me but I will ask anyway.  My son was incarcerated 5 years.  In that time student loans, interest and penalties built up.  I paid Great Lakes/Performant 500 dollars over 10 months then the loan was suppose to be put in rehab status.  They would not return my call so I stopped paying and they sold the loan to another agency.  I only had to make 6 payments before put in rehab status.  No one knows where my 500 dollars went!!!  All these Enterprise Recovery etc. We don't even know who has what loan.  I want to know why they gave the loan to someone else and where my money went!!!!!  Any advice is appreciated.  I really want to get an attorney.

Answer
Gosh, this is a bad situation.  First, I want to prevent any more "misunderstands"  Start keeping a collection diary on this account.  Keep a record of the subject of all letters and telephone calls (date, time and subject).  Next, you need to exercise your right under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) to have this debt validated. Send your request by certified mail.

Is there any chance you have a record of your agreement with Great Lakes?  Do you have proof of the payments made to them? This debt can not be collected on unless they can prove you owe it.  If they get in anyway nasty, tell them you are going to report them to the BBB, Consumer Affairs and to your states Attorney General.  Send what copies of what ever proof you may be able to find.  If this does not work, consult an attorney.

I wish you the best with this situation.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller