Collections Law/Deed In Lieu, Mortgage lien

Question
I am working with my mortgage company on Deed in Lieu.  They have informed me there is a lien on my property that I did not know about.  Unable to afford an attorney I tried  to research it my self.  I have found that the company that placed the lien  filed bankruptcy and has gone out of business.  I think that maybe they had sold my account after the judgment and before they went out of business. I think I have been paying on this account since 2008.  How can I find out anything about this original loan etc.  The company I have been paying will only say they don't have a lien on my property.

Answer
Hi Diane,

The loan was probably sold before it went out of business. You will need to track it down who owns it to get it released. Sometimes google is your best tool.

why don't you try a short sale and have the bank pay a few thousand to the lien to get them to go away. then you won't have to make anymore payments to them. If you are making payments to the collection company then they need to prove to you that they purchased the debt and once they do that you will be able to talk to someone in charge and get them to release the lien. You can usually only get that done if there is money to pay them off.

In my opinion the short sale is the best bet for you so that lien is taken care of without you having to come up with more money. You may also get cash at closing depending on who your loan is with and if they are participating in the HAFA program or one of their proprietary programs. If you need to get set up with a realtor in Michigan to do the short sale, email me directly at brian@pitchergroup.net, with your address and phone number and I'll get you set up with a specialist. By the way, the short sale is free to you. The bank pays the commissions.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks
Brian Pitcher

Collections Law

Brian Pitcher