Collections Law/Why is income tax being taking?

Question
When my husband was in the military, they was taken money out of his check for our military star card every month 250.00. It has been coming out of his check over 6yrs years now. He had retired in 2010 and they still take the payment out every month. Last year and this year they took our income tax check. When my husband called military star they said it was out of there hands he had to call the collection agency. When we call the collection agency you only get a voice recording. I was wondering how can they take our income check if we paying every month. Can the collection agency do that? And right now we don't know how much we owe cause they not sending us any kind of information on what we owe. How can i find out what to do about this situation,. We now live in Texas. Thank You, for your time....

Answer
I am afraid I have no good news for you.  Since they are a federal agency, they can garnish federal tax refunds as long as the account is in collections. Since your husband is making payments, you would think they would be satisfied but they are not, they have to get it all.  Your only hope and, it is a slim one, is that you get in touch with the collection agency and plea you case.  If you can not contact them by phone, send them a certified letter, return receipt requested. I am sorry I do not have better news and wish you the best with this situation.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller